11.15.2010

Artists at work

I love looking at other artists at work in their studio. When creating, artists are so caught up in the moment that all else falls away and it's often reflected in their studio photos. Here are some of my favorites.

Louise Bourgeois,1967 in her Italian studio.
There are some funny studio pictures of Bourgeois, I imagine she was quite a character.

Eva Hesse in her studio.
 Eva's studios are full of fascinating details. I wish I could walk through them.

Kiki Smith at work.
Kiki's home is her studio, there is no separation. She breathes art and it shows.


Lenore Tawney at work.
I love this one of Tawney. She looks seriously frustrated with this piece. We've all been there!
John Cage manipulating a piano.
I'm reading an amazing book about John Cage called Begin Again by Kenneth Silverman. I really see him more as an artist than a musician.

Shiela Hicks using one of her handmade looms.
Is Hicks not beautiful in this photo?

7 comments:

Lari Washburn said...

Beautiful post!

Chantal said...

Fabulous post!! I love the Tawney one too!

Victoria said...

what fabulous photos, thank you for sharing them!

Annie Crow said...

Fantastic photos, thanks for sharing. I need to go find out more about Shiela Hicks now.

Kitty Kilian said...

You have chosen beautiful artists! I mean they are pieces of art by themselves.. as are ohe pictures. Love the frustrated one!

**EYE-SNACKS** said...

Great post,Kathryn ! I just borrowed a book from the library of Louise Bourgeois

elisa said...

i love these. they remind me of a wonderful series of posts on the creative habits of various writers, artists...http://dailyroutines.typepad.com/daily_routines/

x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails