7.18.2011

A different kind of articraft ... the farms

It's getting to us, this life in the country. If only our responsiblities weren't calling us back to the city, I think we'd be up here a lot more. But we're certainly hooked now. We've decided to call this our second home and started the search for a little slice here.


We're not sure what we'll end up with, our minds are open to the possibilities. We spent the last two days on farms, we even ate dinner outside at my favorite, Soul Food Farm.


For over a year, I've been treking across town once a month to pick up my chicken and eggs from their CSA. It has been oh so worth it. The most beautiful orange yolks. Even Alice Waters buys her eggs from them and encouraged them to start raising meat birds.


Their story sounds enticing, buying the property out of love and just hoping to grow olives or lavender. And look what happened to them.


Yesterday we visited another of my favorite spots, Oak Hill Farm in Glen Ellen to buy vegetables for dinner.


I read this book last year that wet my appetite for more. It did not disappoint. The staff inside the barn even wrapped up a little bouquet for Zoe and said they had to do it, they were so charmed by her swirling and dancing.


To top off a perfect weekend, we biked over to an open house yesterday and fell in love with the garden already set up for growing food.


They even made a canning room they grew so much food in it. On top of that, it had a separate 800 square foot artist's studio adjacent. It wasn't an ideal location though adjacent to a school and a graveyard. I think we'll be patient. This one sure was enticing though. What do you think?

12 comments:

LR said...

there is certainly a different rhythm in areas like these. i understand how you feel in trying to find a place there as well. my recent vacation to california and wineries got my husband and i wishing for a place there.

Victoria said...

Yup... that little yellow mid-century sure is enticing!

Although I miss the convenience and the activities that go along with city living, I have never regretted moving to the country 15 years ago. (My only wish is that we actually had a little farm ourselves). Everyday I see sites that make my heart soar. (Today on the way to one of the local farm stands to buy some produce, I saw a small boy feeding some cows and 2 gigantic hogs some corn on the cob. They were all just hanging out in a shady pasture under a big old tree, seeming like the best of friends. Beautiful site.)

Also, I just read a good book about a city girl converting to a farmer. 'The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food and Love' by Kristin Kimball. Great read.

Ellen Vesters said...

ooooooooh....!!!

Jaime Rugh said...

Oh wow! That place is calling! This country life suits you so well:) and Zoe, I just love that picture of her-

Sophie Truong said...

wow, it all sounds great. The food, the farms, the landscape, the house w/ studio (what's wrong with a graveyard next to the house, doesn't it make for the quietest neighbors?), your pics, Zoe's smile... All looks wonderful! Now I'm dreaming of a little vacation...
Enjoy!

kathrynclark said...

Exactly, Sophie! What is wrong with a graveyard :-) For some reason that deters buyers ... which might make it sweeter for us!

**EYE-SNACKS** said...

Dear Kathryn,it looks like you have a wonderful time!
It's cosy to see the large table for a nice dinner,i've always loved that :)

arounna said...

a lovely retreat
your recent pieces on the older posts are lovely
beautiful layers and stitching.
xx

Anonymous said...

looks like a little piece of heaven and Zoe seems to like it - lovely picture.

Katrina said...

oh, my husband and i share this dream. the ever-present tension between an artist retreat life in the country and the world of galleries and performances and exhibitions in the city. i'm excited to watch your journey unfold. applauding you from oakland!

kathrynclark said...

We're so excited! We met with a real estate agent today but see long roads ahead of looking for the perfect spot. I see a new remodel blog forming in my head ...

**EYE-SNACKS** said...

wow,maybe a dream come through..much earliere than expected,maybe.
Exciting times :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails